1 Hope for a Cure
Meet Bernard & Malik
My name is Bernard McNeil. I’ve been cycling since I was 11 (I’m 66 now) and it’s my passion. I learned about spinal muscular atrophy (S.M.A.) when my second grandson, Malik, was diagnosed with type 1 S.M.A when he was 3 months old. Doctors gave Malik a life expectancy of 2 years. But thanks to the newly developed drugs he was given, he is 9 years old today. Although he has to submit to multiple daily treatments, he’s full of life, intelligent, has a fine sense of humour, is generous and curious.
Since a few years, I’ve had a dream about doing a great cycling trip from Vancouver to Montreal. I decided to join my passion with a good cause, and travel these kilometers for Cure SMA Canada.
Why? Because not everyone with S.M.A. has the opportunity that Malik had. Accessibility to drugs, care and help for families is insufficient. Funding and awareness are much needed. Today, I ask for your generosity. Any donation for Cure SMA Canada, big or small, will be much appreciated and will give meaning to this journey.
Traveled 5097.7 km
About the Ride
On the day of the departure and the day of the arrival there will be two gatherings to which you will be invited. Although details are yet to come, please mark these dates on your calendars.
Please, have a look at my itinerary. As you can see, I chose a route that passes through the United States for a small part of the ride, in order to avoid certain sections of Canadian roads which are particularly dangerous for cyclists.
For the first part of the trip, from Vancouver to Calgary, my spouse will follow me by car and provide the support I will need. From Calgary to Montreal, I will be solo. That means I will carry on my bike everything that will be needed for the rest of the trip (tent, ground mattress, food, water, clothing, equipment, etc.).
Should you wish to donate by cheque they can be addressed to Cure SMA Canada and mailed to 103-7134 Vedder Rd Chilliwack, BC V2R 4G4
How you can Support
I also ask for any help you would be able to provide:
1) If you or someone you know is able to cycle a little bit of the ride with me, I would love to ride and chat with you. You can even just come and say hello!
2) Please share this message and talk about it around you. If you have any media contacts, let me know.
3) Perhaps you know someone who lives on the way and who could provide me with a part of their backyard for my tent, access to water and shower or even a room for a rainy night?
4) If you’re a part of the SMA community and live somewhere close to the itinerary I will follow, I want to meet you and talk to you!
5) To my cycling friends in Quebec, if you are free, I’m counting on you to join me in large numbers during the last 2 days of the trip.